Commenced working at Edge Hill University as a Lecturer in Nurse Education in November 2020- specialising within my field and background of Mental Health Nursing, though working as a staff member supporting and delivering teaching to current 3rd Year BSc (Hons) Nursing Programmes, MSc, MNSW and Non-Medical Prescribing Programmes.
I am a Registered Nurse (Mental Health) with the NMC since 2003, as well as a Registered Independent / Supplementary Nurse Prescriber since 2012
I am also a Personal Tutor to a number of Students on the BSc (Hons) Nursing Programme, as well as being an Academic Assessor to Students in Practice on both BSc and MSc programmes.
I am a Field Advisor (Mental Health) for the pre-registration Nursing Programmes at Edge Hill University, and aim to co-ordinate and integrate Mental Health Nurse Education into the curriculum based on current research and evidence-based practice and policies to benefit all students, and assuring field identity is maintained and enhanced. I work closely with other field advisors for other branches of Nursing.
I have completed the Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (PGCTHE), in October 2022, and am a Fellow in the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
I have a vast experience of 18 years clinical practice as a Registered Nurse (Mental Health) in Acute Inpatient (PICU, Forensic) and Community Settings (Assertive Outreach, CMHT, Early Intervention) as well as Leadership and Management within CMHTs as well. This covers the whole adult lifespan working with Adults and Older Persons in my time in clinical practice. I have worked in East Anglia, South of England, Lake District and the North West of the UK as a Senior Nurse.
Qualified as a Non Medical Prescriber in 2012.
I am a member of the Mental Health Academic Network (MHAUK) since 2021, engaging with other academics in Mental Health Nursing across the UK, and endeavour to contribute and deliver research papers in time. I have already contributed to an opinion paper in relation to limited Ethnic Minority Mental Health Nursing Lecturers in Practice.
- Medication Management / Pharmacology / Non-Medical Prescribing
- Psychosis management and intervention
- Crisis Management in Mental Health
- Forensic / Criminal Justice Mental Health
- Policy influences on Mental Health Nursing
- Mental Health Promotion and interface with Public Health
- Clinical Supervision and Reflection in Mental Health Nursing
- Safeguarding complex cases in Mental Health Nursing
- Applying Simulation to Mental Health Nurse Training
- Mental Health Nursing Students experience of Community Mental Health Care and the implications of Safeguarding in Practice. How does this influence management of complex cases in practice ?
- Experiences of Ethnic Minority Mental Health Nursing Students with pre-registration Nursing programmes, and their perception of virtual learning
- Positive Benefits of using Simulation in Pre-Registration Mental Health Nurse Programmes.
- Mental Health Student Nurses experiences and knowledge of Pharmacology and Medication Management / Optimisation throughout their programme - is this consolidated in clinical placements ?
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA), PGCert, Edge Hill University
Award Date: 21 Oct 2022
Associate Fellow of Higher Education Academy (AFHEA), PGCert, Associate Fellow of Higher Education Academy (AFHEA), Edge Hill University
19 Jan 2021 → 26 Apr 2021
Award Date: 7 Jul 2021
Non-Medical Prescibing, MSc, NMC V300 (Non-Medical Prescribing), University of Surrey
Award Date: 30 Nov 2012
Nursing, BSc, Nursing Practice, University of East Anglia
Award Date: 25 Jul 2006
Nursing (Diploma of Higher Education), Other, Diploma HE Nursing, University of East Anglia
Award Date: 18 Jan 2003