I am a PhD Researcher and Graduate Teaching Assistant at Edge Hill University. My PhD research explores Mexican immigration to the US in contemporary US politics, especially during Trump and Biden's presidencies. Drawing on Corpus-Based Discourse Studies, I analyse American and Mexican newspapers to uncover hidden attitudes towards immigration and immigrants.
I hold a Master's degree (MSc) in Spanish Linguistics from University of Ljubljana (Slovenia) with research conducted at Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM).
I am a founder of Spanish and Latin American Research Group (ESAL) at Edge Hill University.
- Adimora, K. (2023) Expert Focus on US Immigration: Challenges and Possible Solutions. Policy brief no. 03.14.23. Rice University's Baker Institute for Public Policy, Houston, Texas. Available at: https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.25613/KHPE-DE58. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘El discurso persuasivo y afectivo de Andrés Manuel López Obrador’, La Visión, 26 July. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘La inaceptable política de “Quédate en México”. Una luz al final del túnel’, Los Angeles Times en español, 11 July. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘San Antonio migrant tragedy: 53 deaths down to criminals and a failed US migration system’, The Conversation, 7 July. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘El éxito elusivo de las políticas migratorias del gobierno de Biden afectando a los inmigrantes mexicanos’, Politeia: revista del pensamiento político, 1 July, pp. 33–35.
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘Trump, Biden, AMLO y la importancia del voto hispano’, La Visión, 29 June. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘Summit of the Americas: Biden’s attempt to unite the region on migration gets off to a shaky start’, The Conversation, 14 June. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2021) ‘The US-México border post COVID-19: reflections on discriminatory actions against Latinos’, Regions, (11). doi: 10.1080/13673882.2021.00001111. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2023) Annotating Mexican immigration discourses. Presentation at the Edge Hill Corpus Research Group, 2 March 2023. Edge Hill University.
- Adimora, K. (2022) Biden’s immigration policies and reform: utopia or reality? Paper presented at the 48th American Politics Group annual conference, 28-29 January 2022. University of Kent, UK.
- Adimora, K. (2021) Building bilingual corpora for Critical Discourse Analysis: Mexican immigration to the US. Presentation at the Edge Hill Corpus Research Group, 10 November 2021. Edge Hill University.
- Study: When it comes to immigration, the more things change, the more they stay the same. 2023. Houston Matters (Houston Public media). 27 March 2023. [online]
I am a Graduate Teaching Assistant teaching on the following modules:
- POL2005. Contemporary US Politics (Guest lectures)
- SPY4009. Children and Migration (MA programme; Guest lecture)
- LNG3154. Critical Discourse Studies
- LNG1017. Studying English Language
I taught Spanish language at Edge Hill University and University of Liverpool.
I hold a certificate in advanced methodology of teaching Spanish from Universidad de Salamanca (Spain).
- 2022- Grant from Graduate School (Edge Hill University) as Visiting Scholar at Center for the US and Mexico at Rice University’s Baker Institute (Texas, US)
- 2018- Grant from AHGBI (Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland) for research trip to Universidad de Almería (Spain)
- 2010- Grant from the Mexican Government for research visit to Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
- 2005- Erasmus undergraduate programme: Universidad de Granada (Spain)
- Immigration from Mexico to the US
- Socio-political situation of Latino population in the US
- Migration and political discourses
- Spanish linguistics