My PhD research explores Mexican immigration to the US in contemporary US politics, especially during Trump and Biden's presidencies. Drawing on Corpus-Based Discourse Studies, I analyse American and Mexican newspapers to uncover hidden attitudes towards immigration and immigrants.
I hold a Master's degree (MSc) in Spanish Linguistics from University of Ljubljana (Slovenia) with researh conducted at Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM).
I am a founder of Spanish and Latin American Research Group (ESAL) at Edge Hill University.
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘El discurso persuasivo y afectivo de Andrés Manuel López Obrador’, La Visión, 26 July. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘La inaceptable política de “Quédate en México”. Una luz al final del túnel’, Los Angeles Times en español, 11 July. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘San Antonio migrant tragedy: 53 deaths down to criminals and a failed US migration system’, The Conversation, 7 July. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘El éxito elusivo de las políticas migratorias del gobierno de Biden afectando a los inmigrantes mexicanos’, Politeia: revista del pensamiento político, 1 July, pp. 33–35.
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘Trump, Biden, AMLO y la importancia del voto hispano’, La Visión, 29 June. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2022) ‘Summit of the Americas: Biden’s attempt to unite the region on migration gets off to a shaky start’, The Conversation, 14 June. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2021) ‘The US-México border post COVID-19: reflections on discriminatory actions against Latinos’, Regions, (11). doi: 10.1080/13673882.2021.00001111. [online]
- Adimora, K. (2022) Biden’s immigration policies and reform: utopia or reality? Paper presented at the 48th American Politics Group annual conference, 28-29 January 2022. University of Kent, UK.
- Adimora, K. (2021) Building bilingual corpora for Critical Discourse Analysis: Mexican immigration to the US. Presentation at the Edge Hill Corpus Research Group, 10 November 2021. Edge Hill University.
I am a Graduate Teaching Assistant teaching on the following modules:
- POL2005. Contemporary US Politics (Guest lectures)
- SPY4009. Children and Migration (MA programme; Guest lecture)
- LNG3154. Critical Discourse Studies
- LNG1017. Studying English Language
I taught Spanish language at Edge Hill University and University of Liverpool.
I hold a certificate in advanced methodology of teaching Spanish from Universidad de Salamanca (Spain).
- 2022- Grant from Graduate School (Edge Hill University) as Visiting Scholar at Center for the US and Mexico at Rice University’s Baker Institute (Texas, US)
- 2018- Grant from AHGBI (Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland) for research trip to Universidad de Almería (Spain)
- 2010- Grant from the Mexican Government for research visit to Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
- 2005- Erasmus undergraduate programme: Universidad de Granada (Spain)
- Immigration from Mexico to the US
- Socio-political situation of Latino population in the US
- Migration and political discourses
- Spanish linguistics